Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Listening to Allen Lowe

“oh, where to start? I returned here in 2016 after 20 years in Maine (Maine is horrible, but that's another story); the reason is so mediocre now in New Haven is complex, but straighforward; when I was Director of the Dept of Cultural Affairs I spent all my time on direction help and actions for artists; we were under constant pressure to alter our orientation toward 'tourtism,' splashy crap that would supposedly bring in more people; didn't matter that we routinely drew 15-20,000 with real jazz concerts on the Green. 20 years later it has all turned away from that model; the arts infrastructure, always slow, is now inert and does nothing but issue pompous statements of arts "support" - local venue don't pay, and even on ocassion charge artsts (well, musicians); it's all ass-backwards; sorry for going on and on....” Text from a FB message between Bev Richey with Allen Lowe (printed here with his permission). 02/03/2020
“I apologize for a bit of self-aggrandizement, but I don't have much personal documentation of the 1980s in New Haven, though it really was a golden age of local arts and a very happy time for me (I wonder every day what has happened; it's weirdly dead these days); but this is one night during the '80s at a fund raiser for City Spirit Artists; maybe at the Y?” Link to the original FBG post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/514691815799451/permalink/571341366801162/
MAKE SURE TO SAVE or PUBLISH: When you are done typing here.. (and a reminder you can always edit this document) THE PUBLISH FUNCTION IS IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER..(not sure what the difference is between Save and Publish at this time)
Allow group members to edit this page: If you look at the bottom left of this page.. you will notice that it is set to allow other group members to edit/collaborate on this document. you can also set the page up as a solo experience.. In this case because I set it up (for you) we will need to keep it open.. Also in the past FACEBOOK has been concerned when I use someone else’s photo..hopefully this will not be a problem. This would be a good place for you to BLURT and RANT for the moment.. let’s talk about the steps to introduce some of the real issues.. I am interested in doing that as well. My first concern is to get us reunited.. and that is happening. Happy to have you here..